Data Systems Consultant
- UK - East Sussex (Wealden District)
- Dependent on skills and experience, a Base Salary
- IT, Sales/Marketing
EU Nationals or UK Work Permit Holders only.......An Information Management software and consultancy Company seek a Data Systems Consultant to work with clients in defining and deploying appropriate data business solutions for subsurface oil and gas. This is a global role, offering great opportunities to advance your career. Applicants are invited with strong IT understanding/savvy, excellent client facing skills and preferably experience in data solutions. The key to this role is confidence in your technical abilities, desire to excel and develop in the role, and have a strong appreciation of client satisfaction. The Company is looking for a long term hire that will be key to the transfer of knowledge from staff members who are moving closer to retirement. Opportunities to travel the world.
The Company is well established and respected within the global Oil and Gas industry for over 20 years. They operate from offices across three continents. With a unique blend of domain expertise and proven technologies, they provide an integrated approach to the management of data assets through their lifecycle. Their modern-day data management services incorporate geological, geophysical and geotechnical data and provide solutions for physical and digital data management, access and storage and archiving and backup. The Company is focused on expanding their product portfolio within the next year and enhancing many of the capabilities of current products.
Working in a small friendly team of passionate engineers, you will be given every opportunity to excel and progress in your career. The Company is set in a picturesque part of East Sussex with direct train line to London Bridge and East Croydon. It is a 30-40 min drive from Brighton.
Responsibilities: Reporting to the Development Manager this role encompasses many functions;
- Become competent in the Company’s software solutions, work flows and practices. (Full training provided)
- Liaise with Sales, Product Management and Development teams to define and refine customer requirements.
- Accompany Sales when visiting customers – discuss existing technical solutions and potential new developments. (represents 10-15% of role)
- Undertake system analysis and design to estimate and propose solutions in conjunction with the sales team.
- Deliver remote and onsite services to customers: implementing new solutions (which could involve scripting), upgrading/maintaining existing solutions; delivering training; and consultancy services.
- Provide support to clients for both new and existing solutions.
- Work with the Product Development team to report defects and to test and apply fixes for your customer's solutions.
- Collaborate with your peers and mentor junior team members as necessary to improve knowledge, infrastructure, processes and skill levels across the team and business.
- Understand the challenges and opportunities facing the business and show initiative when finding solutions to problems.
- Keep abreast of relevant solutions within the market to ensure that the Company’s solutions remain competitive.
- Travel overseas as required.
This role is ideal for an individual with a strong IT systems background and an understanding of data solutions. An Oil and gas background is preferable but not essential. The role offers the opportunity to advance your career, contribute and grow in a small company and travel globally. The oil industry is transitioning to the “digital transformation” space and data solutions are of key focus to oil operators and service companies. The Company is gearing up for this transition – a great time to join and established player in this field!
Preferences: The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in Computer Science, Maths, Science or Engineering preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years in a system solution role essential. This could be support, systems integration, system infrastructure, data transcription/maintenance etc.
- Previous Oil and Gas Industry experience advantageous.
- Previous Data Management experience desired – knowledge of seismic data and its data repositories within subsurface applications highly advantageous.
- Clients have a range of systems and applications so Knowledge/experience in some of the following desired:
# Filesystems and data storage; CIFS, NFS, Tape, Object/Blob storage
# Windows, Linux and Unix systems
# Databases; SQL Server, Oracle, Hibernate and H2
# Application servers, internet services and associated protocols
# Scripting; ideally Groovy
# Geophysical and geological software packages (OpenWorks R5000, Paradigm, Petrel, Kingdom, etc.).
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects concurrently essential.
- The ability to adapt to a dynamic environment essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills essential. The ability to work with customers and the business units to achieve results and deliver the best solutions is key.
- Excellent communications skills essential, with the ability to listen and discuss technical matters in a clear and articulate manner.
- Able to express ideas to both a creative team and to business colleagues.
- The ability to pick up new technologies quickly is key.
- Can work independently and also be an excellent team player.
- The ability to apply new perspectives to solve sometimes complex problems – this may be by using existing solutions or proposing new solutions.
- Strong decision maker – the ability to make decisions independently within agreed guidelines/policies that impact a range of customers, operational, process or project activities.
- The ability to meet deadlines consistently without compromising quality of functionality.
- Highly analytical/methodical – the ability to understand the problem, the tools available and to deliver the solution.
- The ability to develop plans for assignments of moderate to high complexity.
- Strong advocate of knowledge transfer.
- Willingness to travel globally.