Chief Safety and Risk Engineer
Job Ref: 5598
Job Title: Chief Safety and Risk Engineer
Location: London, UK
Currently recruiting for a Chief Safety and Risk Engineer
Position reports to: Engineering Manager
This position has three main responsibilities:
1. Development of the S&R department to provide technical guidance to the region.
2. Provide all necessary input data to support Business Development activities including presentations, as required.
3. Manage Projects with respect to resourcing and competency issues, as well as critically reviewing Project performance with respect to quality, technical issues, schedules and man hours.
- Responsible for the management of the relevant discipline engineers and technical integrity of engineering and design undertaken by that discipline.
- Responsible for the management and coordination of specified tasks within the engineering discipline and for the progress and quality of assigned tasks, including supervision of engineers and graduates.
- To ensure all work carried out conforms with agreed codes and practices, meets all requirements of the contracts specification and ensure all work is carried out within agreed schedules, budgets and procedures.
- Engineer all design work in line with the QA manual and WorleyParsons’ procedures.
- Management of the discipline group to achieve output at required quality and, within time and budget parameters
- Provide technical advice to management and operating departments
- Implementation of appropriate channels of communication with other disciplines
- Identification and evaluation of new technology developments which could be applicable in providing more cost effective facilities
- Ensure design solutions are technically sound and always meet client specifications and expectations
- Initiate alterations and improvements of existing design methods and extensions of their application
- Design solutions utilise WorleyParsons corporate knowledge to deliver the most cost-effective outcome to the project.
- Estimate and schedule project activities and resource requirements.
- Promote career development within the group.
- Training and mentoring of new engineering graduates
- Liaise with other Chief Engineers to ensure global capture and implementation of best practice, tools and systems
- Development and improvement of company standards and design methods
- Working knowledge and ability to interpret and apply relevant International and local Codes and Standards and client standards and specifications.
- Provide advice or guidance to resolve complex, ambiguous or special cases not adequately covered by design guides and, to contribute to the development of procedures required for the preparation and checking of calculations, drawings and documents.
- Builds a successful team
- Build a successful team by creating a learning environment, clarifying performance goals / objectives and providing feedback, tracking performance and facilitating goal accomplishments.
Application of knowledge to add value
- For complex problems identify issues and evaluate options and recommend preferred solutions. Ensuring outcomes are reasonable and take into account all significant factors.
- Promote continual improvement and encourage learning of team members to think laterally and challenge previous practices.
- Understanding and Implementation of engineering and design process
- Ensure design deliverables required for Conceptual, FEED and detailed design, with appropriate level of detail and checking required for each phase.
- Conduct technical audits across projects, including change control/key document change notices process.
General software and analytical skills
- Demonstrate willingness to trial and implement new software and maintain existing in-house software tools
- Prepare proposals and reports and, schedule and plan work effectively.
- Leads a discipline on a project
- Demonstrate ability to accurately assess progress against budget and schedule, identify areas of concern and take action to recover budget and schedule.
Managing work, planning and organisation
- Effectively delegate work taking advantage of available resources to complete work efficiently and prioritise work, adjusting priorities when appropriate.
General management skills
- Interview and select personnel to suit long term organisational needs and conduct performance appraisals.
- Proactive in transferring skills and knowledge.
- Proven leadership skills, strong interpersonal skills and extensive experience at Lead level.
- Supervisory experience and an ability to train and mentor engineers.
- Computer skills in relevant packages.
- Proven technical writing skills.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and ensure the required work standards are consistently meet.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated priority and deadline management for self and team (including delegation)
- Relevant engineering degree or qualification (Chartered Engineer preferable)
- A minimum of 15 years relevant experience.
- Must eligible to work in the UK
For a confidential discussion please contact Wayne Stynes directly in London, UK on +44 (0)208 380 0641 or by email: email@example.com